YONI CARE // HEALING YEAST INFECTIONS NATURALLY
I am all for preventative health, that’s my m.o., however sometimes shit happens! Yeast infections happen. There is no cute way around it and no reason to feel shameful about it. They are a part of life as a woman. However, with proper care and diligence, we can do a lot to prevent them. But when the time comes (and it probably will) and the bacteria in your yoni get overpopulated by the bad ones, there are tools for healing yeast infections naturally.
I recently got a UTI that turned into a kidney infection. Why did this happen? Because unfortunately I didn’t take action quick enough and let the infection proceed for too long without any intervention. So I wound up needing antibiotics which in turn, gave me a yeast infection. I was able to heal the yeast infection naturally and the experience helped me put together a guide for other women.
Please note: if you have a UTI or bladder infection, act quickly and get on a natural treatment right away. If you act fast enough you can blast the infection off, however you must exercise caution, you don’t want the infection going up to your kidneys as it did in my case. If this happens you MUST seek urgent care from your doctor or a walk-in clinic because it can get serious fast. I am all for natural treatments but it’s essential to get on them early for them to be effective. And it is also important to understand that there is a time, place and situation where medical intervention is necessary. Use discernement and discretion.
Below are some holistic recommendations for healing a Urinary Tract Infection:
- High-dose Vitamin C – infection cannot exist in a vitamin C-rich body. I love LivOnLabs Lypo Spheric Vitamin C because they encapsulate their C molecules, which protects them from being destroyed by the low pH of your digestive system. Liposomal formulations are the gold standard as they ensure the vitamin is transported directly to the bloodstream and cells without destruction. This is high-potency stuff
- D-Mannose – the active constituent in cranberry juice. This can be found in supplement form. The D-mannose helps prevents certain kinds of bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract which cause infection
- Grapefruit seed extract – research has shown GSE to be a natural antiseptic, antiviral and anti-fungal
- Potent herbs – Uva Ursi, Dandelion root, Goldenrod aerial parts, Goldenseal root. Create a tea with any or all of these herbs. Let tea steep for 15-20 minutes. Drink regularly throughout day
- Foods: probiotic-rich foods like kefir, sauerkraut, coconut yogurt, vitamin-c rich foods (oranges, kale, red peppers)
- Avoid: sugar, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, carbonated beverages – these are all bladder irritants
- Drink a LOT of water – this will help flush your system out
- Remember – the easiest way to prevent UTI’s is to always urinate after sex
Holistic tips for healing yeast infections naturally:
- Probiotics, probiotics, probiotics! Support your immune system by eating nutrient-dense probiotic and fermented foods that are helpful for fighting infections of all kinds and proven to be beneficial for yeast infections. These foods include: kefir water, kefir yogurt, raw and unpasteurized goat’s yogurt (refer to my Yogurt recipe here), kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi
- Probiotic supplements – one of the best natural treatments for yeast infections. You can take this orally and I also suggest inserting a capsule vaginally before bed
- Yogurt douche – I recommend buying a reusable vaginal douching kit. I got mine for $15 at CVS and they are very simple to use. Douching with raw, unpasteurized goat’s milk, or any organic yogurt is recommended to flush the area out. Yogurt is rich in lactic acid and yeast infections cannot thrive in a lactic acid rich environment. If you don’t want to douche, you can also try soaking a tampon in the yogurt and inserting it from there
- Wear clean, loose clothing – for hygiene and to feel more comfortable
- Keep your skin dry and clean – yeast thrive in moist environments so it’s important to wash well and dry off well
- Foods to consume: coconut yogurt, raw unpasteurized goats yogurt, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, vitamin C rich foods (oranges, kale, red peppers), garlic
- Essential oils: tea tree, lavender and myrrh oils are gentle and help kill a variety of yeast, parasites and fungi; use several drops mixed with coconut oil topically just outside the area